Art Director/Graphic Designer
gc design company
London - Istanbul
Associate Lecturer, 2000-2017
London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
University for the Creative Arts, Farnham
- My research deals with image/text interrelationship in constructing meaning as graphic language, principally in book design.
- This research analyses the impact of electronic technologies on the practice of book design in Britain between 1984-2006.
- To this end, I have developed an evaluative timeline depicting the technological changes and as case studies I have looked at designers who have used these technologies while constructing meaning, from mid 1980s onwards.
- My primary interest focuses on the image/word dichotomy and its implications for communication and language, the production of messages and graphic design.
- I have been assessing the practice of graphic design as a discipline capable of generating meaning on its own terms without the constraints of an external imposition.
Articles/Works Published in Specialist Books and Magazines
• Typographics 2 cybertype ‘zines+screens Hearst Books International, 1996, pp. 74-75
• The European Design Annual 4 Rotovision SA, 1999, pages 110-111
• Print Magazine Print’s European Design Annual, 1999, page 137
• Printed Matter Hearst Books International, 1999, pages 70-74
• Page Layout Hearst Books International, 2000, page 122
• Big Color Hearst Books International, 2000, pages 34
• Experimental Layout Design Fundamentals Rotovision SA, 2002, pages 16, 129-131
• Space’r Designs for a Life, issue 0.04
• Artist’s Sketchbooks YapiKredi Bank Exhibition Catalogue, YapiKredi Publications, 2003
A collection of artists’ sketchbooks from various fields of art and design; a number of my sketchbooks were exhibited and printed in the catalogue.
• Sanat Dunyamiz, YapiKredi Publications, 2003
On graphic designer’s sketchbooks, by Gulizar Cepoglu.
• Sanat Dunyamiz, YapiKredi Publications, 2004
Reading the City of Signs, by Gulizar Cepoglu
• Introducing designs for making a first impression Die Gestalten Verlag, 2005, page 177
• Serialize; family faces and variety in graphic design Die Gestalten Verlag, 2006, pp 22-23
• We Interrupt the Programme in Istanbul. Image and text interface exploring the nature of graphic design as a direct component of the communication process. A research project organised by Gulizar Cepoglu in collaboration with Ian Noble and Russell Bestley from LCC. The publication record of the entire event. Designed by Gulizar Cepoglu, published in Istanbul, 2001.
• Design for Communication: Conceptual Graphic Design Basics by Elizabeth Resnick, Wiley, 2003. The book represents forty basic to advanced graphic design and typography assignments written by design educators to teach fundamental processes, concepts and techniques through hands on applications. Pages 195-200 show an assignment that I conducted at LCC with a group of students, including a process narrative and educator’s critical analysis revealing the reasoning behind the creative strategies employed by each individual student solution.
Seminars, Workshops, Exhibitions
• Guest designer Grafist 13
Seminar, Workshop and exhibition at the Mimar Sinan University in October 2009. The “International Istanbul Graphic Design Week” is an educational activity organized annually since 1997 by Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Fine Arts Faculty, Graphic Design Department. This activity is an organization endorsed by ICOGRADA International Council of Graphic Design Associations. Grafist is organized with the collaboration of GMK /The Turkish Society of Graphic Designer.
• We Interrupt The Programme In Istanbul
Graphic design and its relationship to communication and language, the production of messages and design as a form of social commentary. Marmara University, Fine Art Faculty, Istanbul, March 2000; organiser.
• Reading The City of Signs: Istanbul: Revealed or Mystified?
Bilgi University, Istanbul, April 2003; organiser.
• Mapping Meanings: Istanbul’s Bosphorus. An action research project
Various venues (see below), 2003-2005; organiser.
Seminars Research Outputs and Work in Progress Exhibition at Bilgi University, Istanbul, April 2003
Exhibition at The Architecture Centre, Bristol, June-July 2003
Exhibition at the University of Nottingham, September 2003
Exhibition at the London College of Communication, January-February 2004
• Research Seminars at the University of the Arts London, since 2000; participator.
• Grafist 13, the Thirteenth International Istanbul Design Week. Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Istanbul, October, 2009; participator.
• SALT Talk, Who Is In Town? Gulizar Cepoglu on the interrelation of image and text,
19 April 2011
• Research Seminars at the University of Arts, since 2000
• Grafist 13, The Thirteenth International Istanbul Design Week. Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Istanbul October 12-17, 2009.
• International Istanbul Biennial Book, book design prize awarded by GMK, 2001
• Certificate of Design Excellence, Istanbul Surgery Hospital, European Design Annual 4/1999
• Yayin, magazine design prize awarded by GMK, 1994
• Aprido Swimwear, logo prize awarded by GMK, 1993
• Ottoman Bank Calendar, design prize awarded by GMK, 1993
• Beymen Status, magazine design prize awarded by GMK, 1993
• Sunday Supplement, Peki, newspaper design prize awarded by GMK, 1990
• Peki Logotype, logo prize awarded by GMK 1990
• Kalın Art Magazine owned by Mehmet Güleryüz, prize awarded by GMK, 1989
• Photographer Nazif Topçuoglu, stationery design prize awarded by GMK, 1989
• Cumhuriyet Newspaper Yunus Nadi Poster Design award, 1988-89
• Architect Riza Tansu, stationery design prize awarded by GMK, 1988
• British Council ITBA, brochure design prize awarded by GMK, 1987
(GMK is The Society of Turkish Graphic Designers, a member of ICOGRADA)
Activities and Organisations
• CEEI Centre d'étude de l'écriture et de l'image, Universite Paris Diderot - PARIS 7
• University of the Arts London Members Association
• Turkish Society of Graphic Designers (GMK)
• The Typographic Circle
An ex-Olympic swimmer for the Turkish National Team (between the ages of 10 and 16) and participated in many World, European, Mediterranean and Balkans Championships.
Member of the Amateur Swimming Organisation.